Tuesday, December 28, 2010

God's Word Always Speaks

It never ceases to amaze me how God's Word, the Bible, can speak...no matter where we turn in it, and no matter what we are going through.  We are told in Hebrews 4:12 that, "The Word of God is LIVING and ACTIVE.  Sharper than any double-edged sword...it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."  I don't know about you, but over the holidays is especially the time I need help in monitoring the thoughts and attitudes of my heart.  It seems so easy for wrong motives to sneak in or unkind words to slip out. 

During the busyness of travel, family and holidays - although we have shared some devotionals as a family, I have missed taking consistent time alone in the Word.  Sporadic here and there, never replaces that regular time of immersing myself in what God has to say to me and show me. As I curled up this morning with the Word, I wondered how I could have allowed that to happen? How is it possible to neglect my relationship with the One who knows me best, and wants more for me than any other? How can I allow it to become stale for even a day? When I turned in my Bible, I came to I Kings 17:7 where it says, "Some time later the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land." As I read those words, I felt they described how I was beginning to feel inside - dry. As the verse implies, we don't become dry overnight, it says some time later, but I know the difference when I am heading that direction of drying up and when I am well watered.




Just as our sweet children allow us to pick them up in our arms - and they experience safety and security - we need our Heavenly Father to pick us up, water us well and prepare us to move into the next things He has for us.  Because of His love and grace, there is no place of "earning the right" to come to Him - because of the cross, we can run into His arms with freedom and safety.  The only thing that can keep us from that place of our Father's arms is: listening to the words of the enemy who will try to tell us we don't deserve it, or ourselves not taking time to come to the Word and ask God to speak - He always will!

Run into those arms and let Him love you and speak to you today - there is no reason to be dry, when we are being offered fresh, living water.  Jesus said in John 7:38, "WHOEVER believes in me...streams of living water will flow from within him."  May we be filled with the Father's love and refreshed with the living water of the Spirit, pouring fresh into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment