Sunday, January 8, 2012

LEADING FROM MISTAKES



     I like to do things well.  Really well.  But I've realized something over these years of parenting that has stretched me as a mom --

     The best leading I do isn't from my perfection; it's from my mistakes.

     God knew this long before I began stumbling down this winding road of parenting.  It's one of the many reasons He told us that when we're weak, He wanted to be strong for us.  But let's be honest, we'd rather lead than lean, wouldn't we?

     We're an independent type of people, but if we are going to truly "succeed" at motherhood, and by definition of succeed I mean become all God wants us to be as moms, then we can't stay stuck on reaching perfection.  We need to discover the contentment of making mistakes despite trying our best and find the joy of leaning on our Father.

     God longs to give us all we need to lead these little, and not so little, ones who require direction.  But we have to accept that we can confidently lead from the mistakes we've already made, far better than the perfection we may aimlessly chase after.

     The irony of our feeble attempts is that the less we TRY and the more we LEAN, the more laughter bubbles up in our homes and the bigger the smiles are that fill the faces of our children.

     Only God is perfect and because of Jesus, we're on a journey that leads to better and better things.  Hebrews 10:14 reminds us of this, "By one sacrifice He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."  Do you hear the verb tenses jumping up and down in that verse?  Has made -- means already accomplished and Being made -- means we are a work in progress.  God doesn't expect more of us than we are able to do but He is ready to use us exactly where we are at!

     So next time you mess up and you find yourself wishing for more perfect outcomes, remember God uses us, mistakes and all, to lead these children He's entrusted in our care.

"My grace is sufficient for you,
for My power is made perfect
in weakness."
II Corinthians 12:9


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kristen. Sometimes (often!) I find myself wondering how messed up my kids are going to be because of all of the sin the experience from me and witness in me. I have to apologize to them so often for my tone, actions, etc. Thanks for this encouragement!

    ReplyDelete