Monday, September 20, 2010

Start Small ~ While They Are

Have you ever seen an empty toilet paper roll on the holder in your home?  I have in our home - many times.  The good news for me is that I saw empty rolls far more often in the past than I do now and there is a reason for that.  We started our kids with small chores when they were small and they have grown into chores in great ways.  I am quite sure that the fact that I "let" them change the rolls when they really couldn't has equaled not having a struggle to get them to change them now.  If there is an empty roll, they just grab the next roll and switch it.

Not very exciting or inspiring yet, I realize - but I do have a point.  As we allow them to "help" in the early days when we all know, as parents, it is taking much longer than it would if we were working alone, we will find later that they are doing jobs without being told they have to.  Not only will the basic jobs get done, but hopefully they will have learned to go above and beyond what just has to be done and finish well.  It can be done but it takes hard work and consistency on our part.

The other day my husband had to load a piece of machinery on his truck and asked our now thirteen year old to give him a hand.  My husband came in the house later that day and said he stood in awe as he watched our son go beyond what he was asked to do and find the necessary tie downs and ropes and finish the job without instruction.  This is what it is all about - I want our children to not avoid work but embrace it but it needs to start young.  I want them to be like Paul in I Corinthians 4:11 who said, "We work hard with our own hands."  But I have parented long enough to know that it will never happen by accident.  Keep requiring the work and eventually the ability and willingness will follow.  So go show that two year old how to change a roll of toilet paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment