Thursday, April 14, 2011

Get UN-Comfortable


     Picture, if you would, a large, overstuffed chair nestled in a quiet corner of peacefulness -- now imagine settling yourself into its encompassing down-filled pillows.  Let your head lean back, feel your eyes close but before you fall asleep . . . STOP.

     Stand up and ask just one question, "God, do I need to rest in this moment or do I need to become UN-comfortable?"

     The old saying -- Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable -- has its value and place when it comes to creating healthy balance in our lives and taking care of ourselves.  BUT if I am honest with myself I would choose that puffy, comfy chair EVERY time. 

     I need to pull back and restore, just like the next person BUT I can't stay in that place.

     God has much more for you and me to do than to rest in fluffy chairs, but somehow the world may have us mildly convinced that this is what we were created for.  I challenge us to shake off that urge to stay in these commodious places and look around -- what is God doing in our world, right where we are?

     Something that would stretch us out of our comfy spot?  It might be . . .
  •      Taking a meal to someone who is sick, even though our life may feel busy right now?
  •      Telling someone about God's love for them, even if it puts us out of our comfort zone?
  •      Giving our husband a back rub, even though we are exhausted?
  •      Volunteering to teach Sunday School, even though we would rather sit in the service?
  •      Showing love to one of our chidlren, even though they are undeserving today?
     I don't know what UN-comfortable looks like for you, but I know what it looks like for me.  That's because God has unique opportunities for each of us that can't be duplicated by another -- and that's why it's so vital that each of us hear directly from God, what He has for us to do. 

     But sometimes we can't hear the assignments, because of how strong our affection is for the comfy spot.

     So if you are up for the challenge . . . catch the rest you need, then shake off the urge for "permanent comfy" and tell God that you are available.  Just wait and see what He does.  Maybe a good place to start is that great prayer of Jabez.  Just cry out to God . . .
"Oh, that you would bless me indeed,
and enlarge my territory,
that Your hand would be with me,
and that You would keep me from evil."
(I Chronicles 4:10)


1 comment:

  1. This post make me UNcomfortable, Kristen. ;) Good stuff - and a good reminder coming off a retreat about service and how our Lord held nothing back. So thankful He did not stay in his "comfy place" (the glory of heaven!) and came down.

    My comfy places always beckon; thanks for the challenge not to choose it too often. To God be the glory.

    ReplyDelete