Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Shirt


     The playground was quiet and abandoned, but not for long, as the legs of my children flew at top speed to race for the swings and run for the slides.  Laughter rose into the air like bubbles on a summer's day, but the joy-filled moment wasn't to remain.

     Out of the corner playground gate meandered a little guy, probably only five years old, but his face was covered with a grizzly expression reminiscent of a tired old man.  He sidled over to the teeter-totters and made it known to two of my children that he had territorial rights to be in charge.  I started walking over to intervene when I noticed a woman step through the gate and call to the boy. 

     "Billy, whatcha doin'?" asked the somewhat disheveled mother.  A skull and cross bones screamed at the world from the front of her shirt, and words, not worth repeating, covered the back of it. 

     I cringed at what my eyes took in with the words, in the quick breath required to read it and then quickly gathered my composure and smiled, trying to make it genuine.

     "Nothing mom, just playing," her son backed off a little and looked for another area of which he could gain dominion.

     My natural self wanted to gather up my children like a mother hen takes her chicks under her feathers, and rush them home, but I felt to stay.  God may have a reason that two mothers were meeting on this sunny afternoon and I didn't feel it was time to walk away yet.

     I smiled again, this time a little bigger and more sure of myself . . . no - more sure of God and His presence with me.  The words of a Casting Crowns song began to flow through my head, and I knew God was there, prodding me in that moment.

     What this world needs, is for us to care more
     About the inside than the outside.
     Have we become so blind that we can't see ~
     God's gotta change her heart
     Before He changes her shirt...

     What this world needs is a Saviour who can rescue
     A Spirit who will lead
     A Father who will love them in their time of need...
     That's what this world needs.
  


     The heart before the shirt -- how could I allow myself to be so struck by the shirt and have failed to recognize the woman wearing it?  The one in obvious need of encouragement and friendship. 

     "God," I whispered, "forgive me for judging and resisting to share your love with those you place in my path.  Even when it means my children have to be stretched too."

     Is this not what we are called to do?  Be salt and light in a dying world?

     Jesus didn't promise us it would be easy, but He DID promise He would be with us.

     May we look for ways to let God stretch us for the sake of the kingdom.  May we encourage our children to graciously overlook small offenses in order to see the bigger picture in front of them -- an opportunity to be "Jesus with skin on", to someone who may not know they are loved by a Heavenly Father.

"Don't just pretend to love others. 
Really love them. 
Hate what is wrong. 
Hold tightly to what is good."
Romans 12:9



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Kristen. What a good reminder that even our little moments on the playground can be divine appointments if we stay close to the Lord's heart. Love it!

    ReplyDelete