Thursday, June 23, 2011

Past Generations



     Past generations seemed to know well the secret of hard work.

     Our current generation seems to know well the secret of leisure.

     Remember the old poem . . .    

     Work while you work,
     Play while you play;
     One thing each time,
     That is the way.
     All that you do,
     Do with your might;
     Things done by halves
     Are not done right.
      (McGuffy Reader)

     I have noticed that when I am done my "work", the tendency is to sit back to enjoy "leisure".  My concern has become that I sometimes confuse "leisure" with "play".

     I like what William Bennett says about this idea, "The opposite of work is not leisure or play or having fun but idleness -- not investing ourselves in anything."

     I am challenged to be investing myself in my children when the work is done, not just putting my feet up and being idle.  These are the moments that are vanishing before our eyes -- may they not be wasted.

"Whatever you do,
work at it with all your heart."
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment