Tuesday, November 22, 2011

ON-TIME OR ON-HAPPY



     The speedometer rested below the speed limit and my relaxed husband was sporting his "not-a-care-in-the-world face".  His nonchalant demeanor greatly reminded me of my children's attitudes when they couldn't see any reason that "hurrying" was needed either.  I knew I should be thankful for his great mood but it just seemed to add to the swelling emotions I was experiencing, of being late.  And, although, the chatter in the back of our van did nothing for my sour mood, it at least reminded me that I was modeling actions for an audience of five!

     My foot tapped the passenger-side floor more anxiously than it should have . . . late again!  I growled inside and tried to chew on my tongue to keep from showing my frustration.  Being late means far more to me than it should, even though I keep chalking it up to being the "detail" person in the family.

     I refuse to spoil this day, I reminded myself, a few minutes will not make a big difference.  And as much as I knew I was right, I was bothered that I had to put out SO MUCH EFFORT to control my tongue for something so seemingly petty.  God, please help me, came the silent cry.

     This is growth for me -- one small choice at a time; while asking God to strengthen me!

     A choice not to vent the frustration that I feel inside.  A choice to smile when my shoulders hang heavy.  A choice to invite God into the mundane realities of daily life.

     Many times, we have a choice . . . we can either be ON-TIME or ON-HAPPY but we're not guaranteed both!

     I ask myself, "Am I going to treat today like the gift that it is or am I going to be the one responsible for destroying the potential happiness that's locked within these moments?"

     Some may say I'm being to hard on myself, but I don't believe I am.  I know the sound of God's still, small voice, reminding me to love at all times; not just when it suits me.   And the end of the story?  We arrived at our destination safe, (mostly) happy and the appointment we were late for . . . well, they weren't ready for us yet anyway.  One small victory, thousands more to go -- one day, one moment, at a time!

"Troubles can develop 
passionate patience in us."
Romans 5:3


2 comments:

  1. I know I shouldn't laugh - but it's SO refreshing that you struggle with moments like these too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed this gentle reminder :) Thanks again Kristen for your encouraging words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete