Friday, February 19, 2010

Interruptions

Wow - the title "Interruptions" came to me on Monday evening and without any exaggeration, I have tried to find time to share this all week. The irony, of course, is that every space I had open to take time to share has been filled with....you guessed it, INTERRUPTIONS.
The good news is that I have laughed about most of them, groaned about a few and just about lost it once or twice - but God has truly been faithful this week.
A scripture from one of my quiet times this week describes it best - this is from the Message, in James 1. It says, "Consider it a SHEER GIFT, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You KNOW that under pressure your faith-life is forced into the open to show its true colours." I must say that in a small way that represents this week more than any I have experienced in a long time.
So, why do we have to experience interruptions? James is quite clear that we are supposed to not just survive them but appreciate them - we are growing in new ways. Whether it is the dog throwing up, the kids breaking a glass bottle, a broken windshield, financial challenges, etc...it is for our good and God will use it to grow us more IF we let Him.
I was reading a quote from Amy Carmichael (missionary to India) in which she greatly challenged me in how I view my interruptions...
"A cup brimful of sweetness cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, no matter how suddenly jarred."
I love that picture - if we are full of sweetness!
So I again lay down my plans and agenda, while still managing our home and ask God to fill me fresh with sweetness so that when I am jarred I will not be found with bitter water - whether in my response to children, spouse or even the dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment