Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reminding God



What on earth might we need to remind God of? Is He not God and therefore knows everything? ABSOLUTELY! But this is where I am going with my thoughts - although God knows everything there is to know about each one of us, He is very clear that we are to bring our needs to Him. If we are not doing that, then it is not very realistic to expect Him to be answering if we are not asking.

It is always dangerous to try to draw an illustration of who God is from our role as parents, but I will try ~ Let's say my eight year old has told me that she does not have a dress that fits her anymore and she would like to get a new one. In fact, I had already looked in her closet and knew she would be needing a new one soon. Therefore it is a fair request on her behalf and I promise her that I will get her a dress at some point. But what if I go about my week with all that I need to do and don't take time to get her a dress? What will happen? She will remind me that I need to take her to get one. But if I have a very full week it is possible I might not get to the store. What if we go into the next week and I completely forget that she even needs one? Is she more likely to get a dress by saying nothing or by petitioning me regularly and reminding me of what I promised her? Obviously by reminding me of my promise to her.

This is where I am going ~ God is all-knowing and the Bible says He knows what we need before we even ask. Therefore it is not a matter of Him not knowing or forgetting what we need, but for us to know how to approach Him. There is a wonderful parable that Jesus tells in order that we might understand how to pray and it follows immediately after Jesus has taught the Lord's Prayer.

The parable is found in Luke 11 and says this, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me and I have nothing to set before him.' Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's BOLDNESS he will get up and give him as much as he needs."

There are many applications that can be made from those verses, but what I want to encourage is this: When we approach our Heavenly Father with boldness of what we have need for, we do not offend Him - we put into action His operating system. Not only are we assured that He will provide what we need but that He will go to work quickly on our behalf. We know that God's timing is still not ours and we must "be still and know that He is God". But as we are doing that, may we be boldly going to His throne and "reminding Him" of His promises to us. Whether it is for the salvation of your children, the provision of finances or the healing of a friend - God is able and ready, but allows us the privilege of partnering through prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment