Monday, November 1, 2010

Curbing the Challenges of Sundays

Sometimes I feel that when God instructed us, as Christians, not to forsake gathering together (i.e. going to church) - as stated in Hebrews 10:25, He should have exempted families with babies and young children.  Have you ever noticed that you can get "x" number of kids out the door to a doctor's appointment for 9 am but to get out the door by 10 am on Sundays can be a significant challenge?  Do you wonder why that is?  I have a few suggestions as to the "why" of this, but I also have found some things that have helped me with the "how", as well.

I remember reading in a survey done by Dr. James Dobson, that couples felt they experienced an increased number of fights and frustrations on a Sunday morning compared to the rest of the week.  I have also heard many moms share that the stresses of any given Sunday, seem to be increasingly more challenging than those of an average morning.  And lastly, I have lived through a number of overwhelming Sunday mornings myself and can testify that they can be very hard.  Why would that be?  I would have to presume that the number one most important reason for the stress and challenge of Sunday mornings is the reality of the spiritual battle.  Now I know that brushing hair, giving baths, cooking eggs and putting on some nice clothes on your children might not feel very spiritual - but the enemy is aware of our purpose in all those things and that is where the battle comes in.  Why would Paul go to such efforts in II Corinthians 2 to remind us that, "We are not unaware of (Satan's) schemes," if there wasn't a battle to be fought?

The battle for Sundays, I believe, is real but it should not overwhelm us.  I have found that the greatest mornings of fellowship and worship I have experienced usually followed the mornings I have had to "fight" to get my children ready and out the door, while keeping my marriage healthy, and in tact.  In fact, I find in most areas of life - where there is no battle - I am often just coasting and not growing anyway.  Do not be discouraged by this - in fact, it should put great courage into us when we think of the flip side of it all...if the enemy is going to such lengths to keep us away, it is probably the place we need to be more than anywhere else.

I think another challenge that comes with Sunday, for me anyway, is the practical part of knowing I have gone hard all week and I feel the need to have a day that I don't have to push so hard.  Ideally, Sunday is a day of rest and if we plan well enough, we don't need to be working too hard - but we do need to be realistic in our timing.  As long as we stay aware of the number of things that need to be done before we walk out the door on time, things can stay on track quite well.  But it does require letting go of the selfish side of the "I deserve.." thoughts.

Lastly, do not let the thoughts of discouragement stay in your mind.  You may be tempted to reflect on thoughts of, "Well, I am only in Sunday School (or Nursery, etc) anyway - what is the point?"  Serving in the church is just as much opportunity to faithfully sow into what God has for you, as being in the worship service.  If you have young children and wonder - "Why Bother?", take a few minutes and read an old post here...(http://www.myheartathome.com/2010/03/why-go-to-church.html)

Be blessed as a family, and don't let the enemy keep you away from where God knows you and your family need to be.  It is worth the pressing in and the fight.  Remember how Hebrews 10:25 ends, "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the day approaching." God will return and it may be soon - keep on, keeping on!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kristen. It's so true! If only we could recognize the battle and stop settling for complacency (thinking "it's just too hard!"), how many more families would be encouraged and equipped each Sunday? It's worth the battle!

    ReplyDelete