Monday, November 22, 2010

Overwhelming Moments

There are just moments in life that are going to overwhelm us.  Therefore, the question can't be how do we get rid of these moments, but how do we deal with them when they come and gain the perspective that God would want us to have? 

Does it ever amaze you how overwhelming certain moments can be?  These moments are not always related to parenting - although that certainly offers some good opportunities for them - but sometimes life is just plain overwhelming!  Because we have learned that to be true, it would seem that we would have a plan in place for when these moments come, but often that does not seem to be the case. 

It makes me think of when people have had the opportunity to experience a large disaster up close.  Whether it be snowstorm, tornado or flood - anything that has the power to temporarily alter the way we live, what is the reaction to that experience?  It is to go out and over-prepare for the mere possibility that it could happen again, isn't it?  It may be stocking up on water, flashlights, batteries, food; or fixing a part of our house that we should have long ago - whatever it is, the purpose is so that we are not caught unprepared again.  How interesting is it then, that if we know there is not just a slim possibility of overwhelming moments, but a guarantee of them, still many of us do not have a "plan" set in place for when we face those storms of life.

If we were to make a plan, what would it include?  For me, first, it is knowing that overwhelming moments will come and that they are part of life.  As simple as that sounds, when I know that what I am going through is "normal", it makes it much easier for me to endure.  Jesus warned us in John 16:33, "In this world you WILL HAVE trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  We need to recognize that although our moments may look different than the next person's moments, they are still similar in their affect of being overwhelming - it really is just part of the journey.

The second part of my plan is to know that I know, before that storm or moments hits, that the God of this universe is ALWAYS in control.  I have purposed to have scripture and knowledge of WHO God is deep inside of me, because during a storm is NOT the time to be evaluating where our hope should be placed.  Once we really know that, then we will want to go to Him during these hard or overwhelming moments...it says in Psalms 62:5&8 says, "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him...He is my fortress, I will not be shaken...Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."  God is fully available to us in all times of trouble.

The last part of my plan consists of knowing that God has purpose in what He is allowing me to go through, and that He is using it to shape me and mold me, for His good.  The Bible says Romans 8:28 that, "We know that in ALL THINGS God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."  He knows far better than I, what areas I need to be shaped in.  If it were left up to me to choose, I am sure 9 times out of 10, I would choose the easier path with the sunshine and flowers - nice view, but not a place for real growth.  He gives us those moments too, but I think of them as opportunities to rest and be refreshed for the moments that He needs to grow me more in.

God always has our best in mind!  The Bible tells us that every good and perfect gift comes from Him, but just as we cannot give into every whim our children have because we know it is not what would help them grow; so God, in much greater perfection can see what is best for us and is growing us accordingly.  Find out WHO He is and then you will be ready to trust Him in your overwhelming moments, and call on Him to carry you through.  He wants to and He will!

No comments:

Post a Comment