Thursday, October 13, 2011

Serious Cravings


     We've been on lots of productive farms and inside lots of smelly barns, but a recent trip has topped all the rest.  As we brushed the cobwebs away from our faces and side-stepped the crusty deposits on the floor; we anxiously followed the sounds to the back row of stalls in an attempt to discover the source the raucous noises.

     There, in front of us, were the hungriest, noisiest and funniest little piglets we'd ever seen.  Our family stood and watched them for quite a while as they ravenously prodded and slurped from their mother, and I pondered two things...
     # 1 - I had it very easy nursing my babies compared to this poor mother pig
     # 2 - Is this what God had in mind when He told us to crave spiritual milk?

     Reflecting on I Peter 2:2, I see where we're encouraged -- no, told -- to rid ourselves of everything that could threaten to bring us down, and become like babies, "Crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."

     I don't want to be dishonoring to God in any way, but truly, if I craved His Word and time in His presence daily like those piglets obviously were craving their mother's milk, would I not be passionately pressing into God at a whole new level?

     That same verse says after we've tasted that the Lord is good . . . most of us have already seen Him move in our lives in some way and we DO know He's good, but we are we craving Him?


     We get so caught up in the chasing of everything this world has to offer EXCEPT FOR God, that I imagine His heart must feel broken time and again.


     Jesus said it'd be when we hunger and thirst that we'd be satisfied -- that means a desperate desire on our part.  Just like those little piglets, may we all be desiring more of God, now that we have tasted and seen that He is good.

"Blessed are those who
hunger and thirst for 
righteousness."
Matthew 5:6


1 comment:

  1. GREAT image for my visual-learner mind, Kristen. And food for thought as I'm sitting to write about lust as my next post topic. The dictionary calls it an intense desire or craving - what if I felt that way for time with God and His Word, the same way I might for a new gadget, free time, or a tasty desert? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete