Monday, April 19, 2010

Carefree Living


In this day and age, it seems there are not too many people enjoying what we would call "carefree living" and the reality is that worry goes back to the beginning of time. This image of our three year old looks like carefree living to me - I love that there are no worries displayed on his face and no thoughts of fear running in his mind...it seems to come much easier though for kids than it does for us. Why is that? Many reasons: kids don't have to pay a mortgage, kids don't have to raise kids (although they do have to raise parents), kids don't look to the future and wonder if things are going to work out - in fact, they very much live in the present and trust their needs will be met.

Remember when Jesus said to his disciples that unless they became like children they would not be able to enter the kingdom of heaven? I think that living like our kids has a lot to do with what Jesus had in mind there. It does not matter what item I have on my "worry list", God already knows how that need can be met or that problem could be solved. In fact, He has told us not to worry in Matthew 6:25-34 "I tell you, DO NOT WORRY about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear (that pretty much sums up most of our common worries, doesn't it)...Look at the birds of the air...are you not much more valuable than these...See how the lilies of the field grow...how much more will He clothe you...Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and ALL these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, DO NOT WORRY about tomorrow."

I love reading Jesus' words here because they comfort me but I also greatly respect His words because they challenge me - do you realize ultimately what Jesus was saying? If we are worrying, we are sinning! Whatever we are instructed not to do but chose to do anyway is giving the enemy access in our lives. The biggest battle, no matter what the problem we are facing is, happens in our minds! That is why we are told to take every thought captive - God knows what will happen to us if we don't and then He tells us what to do with every thought - make it obedient to Christ(II Corinthians 10:5). If our thoughts are being obedient, it means they are lining up with Jesus'words, which in this case means we cannot worry.

If we look at I Peter5:7, we are told what to do next, "Cast all your anxiety (or worries) on Him (God) because He cares for you." Do you know what an easy exercise that is that we so often do not do? It should be as simple as it sounds - Go for a walk; in your basement or bedroom if need be and just talk out loud to your Heavenly Father who hears you - "God, you know that I am feeling __________(overwhelmed, worried, scared) but your Word says that I am supposed to cast (throw) that over to You. I know that I cannot fix this alone and I am choosing to give it to You. Please come and work this out in my life and I trust You to do it. In Jesus' name, Amen."

Now, what is the first thing that is going to happen when you walk out of that room where you committed those things to God? You know - thoughts are going to come and speak discouragement and lack of hope in your mind! What are you going to do? It is a choice - you are going to say out loud - "I have already given (cast) that over to God and I am not going to pick it up again - it is in His hands and He has a solution."

I can promise you, when you walk out your problems with that kind of action and faith, you are putting into action a rescue plan that will not fail. God ALWAYS keeps His promises and when you place your cares in His hands, there will be a solution, far better than your own.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I know all those things in my head but the part I seldom figure out is putting these things into action. I know what I am going to do now though! :)

    ReplyDelete