Monday, April 12, 2010

Hard Work


My oldest and I have been reading a great book together in the evenings entitled Do Hard Things, written by two young men, Alex and Brett Harris. I have to say, I am so impressed with this book - not just because it is written well but because of the discussions it has sparked between us and the fruit we see it bearing in our son's life.
We recently had a work weekend with our family and I am happy to say, it was fun. All of our kids pitched in together and worked hard. Our 10 year old is consistently a cheerful and hard worker but our oldest sometimes struggles to do what needs to be done with a happy heart. We were so blessed on this occasion because our son not only rose to the challenges presented to him but he encouraged others to rise as well! I overheard our 10 year old say, "This is to heavy to carry, I just can't do it." I was so thrilled to hear our 12 year old son came along side her and pick up the other end and reply, "Yes you can, I will help you. You know, sometimes you just have to do hard things!"
I share this not to paint my kids as perfect, because they aren't; but to celebrate some seeds that we have planted over and over are starting to show signs of growth. I know I have said it time and again - but we will reap what we sow - not right away but it will come.
Then a few weeks ago, during our Friday morning chores, our five year old offered to teach our three year old how to vacuum the stairs. I silently laughed but agreed that if she could teach him, he could take over that job. Only moments later, I heard her start into a wonderful explanation of HOW to clean the stairs, WHY it was important to do it well and encourage him to do it carefully. He took it on and did a very good job for a first time but more importantly it gave our five year old an opportunity to share a skill and have a teaching moment.
The book, Do Hard Things is not the answer, but it is one of many amazing resources that are out there right now. The key is not finding the BEST book, the key is utilizing resources as a doorway into our children's lives and the chance to share life lessons. Every day we have the opportunity to continue to plant God's Word in their lives and also seeds of ethics and values that align with His Word. I often think of the story of The Tortoise and the Hare; it is not the fastest that wins the race but the ones that plod along and take time to slowly lay the foundations in our children. There is not much that happens in big chunks but in the little pieces consistently shared over and over.
Proverbs 4:13 "Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well for it is your life."

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to buying this book and starting it with my own children. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete