Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Clearing Up the Clutter

As a mom, I have found a consistent connection with kids and clutter - my children can go along quite well for a good amount of time, keeping their rooms clean and then they seem to hit a wall!  The wall is not that they don't want to clean anymore, it is that they don't know how to clean with all the pieces that have added up.  They become overwhelmed with clutter and require "mom" to come alongside and help them sort through the pieces.  I have to admit this is not one of my favourite tasks, as I feel that once it is done, it should last for at least a year or two, but that is just not the case.  I find each of my children, especially the younger ones, are usually good for a season or a bit longer but then they need help.  So, how does this relate to us as moms?

I have been pondering that the clutter my kids have to deal with in their closets is very similar to the clutter I have to deal with in my own heart and life.  I take time in the Word and with the Lord and can go along for quite a while with God surfacing areas I need to work on or repent of, but at some point - often after a season or two has gone by, I find I hit a wall of sorts.  I have come to realize that I need people in my life who are a few steps ahead of me, either in journey or in Christian maturity and I need to ask them to sit and help me declutter my heart.  I have heard some describe this need in their own lives but then feel badly that they are not "far along enough" to deal with it on their own.  DON'T EVER let the enemy make you feel that way.  God did not design us to walk alone, fight alone or mature alone - we have to have the help of those He has placed in our lives.  This may mean choosing someone that is not going to provide sympathy, though - the people I have sought out have always been the ones I know will not let me be content with where I am at and will be honest with me even if it hurts.  Remember what Solomon says in Proverbs 27:6, "Wounds from a friend can be trusted."

I just want to encourage you to be open with someone you respect and trust, and ask them to honestly speak into your life and help process the clutter you may be facing.  If you are not sure who that person is, ask the Lord to show you who you is safe to share with.   He is faithful as we journey along, working through clutter and all!

2 comments:

  1. What a very thoughtful -- and accurate analogy! I love how you've related kids' clutter (which I completely understand) to what is going on in our hearts. I don't think I've put these two things together before in my mind but definitely agree with how you've described the process that goes on in me and my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! And soo true! My own girls seem to collect toys, papers and clothes which possess the non-enviable (well, in a toy, piece of paper or clothing, anyway) ability to procreate. And they especially do so AFTER I've cleaned up the room myself! So it's universal . . . and absolutely, friends are needed. The wise kind who can listen and help us declutter are the most difficult to find! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete