Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Treasure the Treasures

Does it ever amaze you how many treasures our young children can give us in a day?  If I had been able to keep every drawing, rock, flower, picture and treasure of every kind that I have been blessed with, times five children, I can't imagine how massive the pile would be.  I still get a thrill out of hearing those sweet words of, "Mommy, I made this just for you."  It makes me feel so blessed to be thought of.

In the same way, as I was reading the story of "The Widow's Mite" in Mark 12, I was reminded of what impressed Jesus the most that day He was at the temple.  It was not the wealthy men who dropped large amounts of "cash" into the offerings, but the woman who gave two copper coins.  Jesus spoke so highly of her gift and praised her giving with His disciples because she gave everything she had. 

I feel that when my children and your children take time from their day and work to create something very special - it needs to be treasured so carefully.  Those "treasures" are often given at the busiest times of the day - it may be the supper preparation rush or the time they were to get into bed, but regardless it is usually done with a heart that is giving from all they have.  I know there will come a day (and it has already started) that I look back on the treasures I have filed and saved, and realize that I should have taken more time to recognize the value of those treasures.  Some of the hardest gifts to welcome are the ones that come with dirt on the floor, or bugs in the center of the flowers - but does it really matter? 

I ask this question of myself more than I ask it of you - in the light of the big picture of life - can I not, can we not, take a long moment and treasure the treasure of the little person who thinks the world of us, and has given us a treasure from everything they have?  We are so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment