Monday, January 10, 2011

A New Thing

I am so glad that, when we belong to Him, God is forever making us new!  Everything around us; our children, the seasons and even our own lives, points to God's involvement of freshness and newness - not allowing things to grow boring or stay the same.  As I have been enjoying the beginnings of a new year, I have been reflecting on Isaiah 43:18-19 where it says, "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a NEW THING!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."  That is great news, even for those of us who don't enjoy change.

It is so easy to dwell on the past, and I have found whether the past represents joy or sorrow, it is not beneficial to dwell too long.  It is good to take time to enjoy special memories and thank God for what He has done for us in the past, but outside of that, I find there is either the temptation to wish back the simpler and better days OR wish away the days we regret.  Whichever we choose, we are not looking forward to what lies ahead.  As a mom, I find it so easy to think back to when my children were infants and I had the joy of snuggling them and enjoying their gentle compliance.  But if I place my focus there too long, I will easily set aside the joy that can be found in raising up pre-teenagers and adolescents, and forget to look ahead and anticipate what God wants to do in their future.

From that reference in Isaiah, I love that God tells us He is able to make a way in dry places and water appear were it is wasteland - have you ever felt like those images could represent the place you are at in life?  I certainly have - whether it be a hard day or an extended period of time, I am sure most of us can relate to the image that those words conjure in our minds.  What a hope to know that it is IN THOSE PLACES, not once we are through those places, that God produces direction and supply for the journey.

Wherever you find yourself today, take a moment to ask the Lord to show you what NEW THING He is doing in you and around you.  He may surprise you with something you hadn't realized yet.  And if you are still not seeing it, take God at His word - say, "God, you have said that you are doing a new thing but I can't see it yet.  Because your Word says that you will do this, I trust you for it and will wait expecting to see streams flowing in this dry place in my life."  And then be ready for the river! 

1 comment:

  1. Great post Kristen, I found it very encouraging!! It's so exciting when you put Him first and walk in obedience....you experience what true relationship looks like.
    All the best to the fam.

    Stephen Stow

    ReplyDelete