Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nail Biting Worries



     Thoughts drifted in the back door of my mind -- totally unaware of the subtle change, I subconsciously began to chew on a fingernail.  A bit later I found myself irritated by a few simple incidents and chewing on the second fingernail.

     Old habits die hard. 

     By supper I had complete mutilated one hand and had started on the second.  What a stupid habit, I chided myself.  It took until bedtime to recognize the cause of my nail biting day -- I'd been worrying.  

     About what?  Nothing of great significance, but those dangerous "little concerns", if allowed to go undetected, can leave me worse off than the big ones.

     Once I recognized what was happening, I began to speak God's truth...God, let your peace, the one that's beyond what I can imagine, GUARD my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)  My heart calmed and my mind fell silent!

     Somehow if my "radar for worry" isn't activated at all times these seemingly unimportant worries can take over and I find myself becoming overwhelmed with life.  I know this isn't the way God wants any of us to live -- but what are we to do?

     I picture a sweet child spinning and twirling with happy delight . . . Jesus was looking out for our best interest when he told us that, "Unless you CHANGE and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."  (Matthew 18:3)

     We transform our thinking from that of a stressed adult to that of a carefree child.

     By His strength, not ours, we have to surrender these concerns to Him ~ ONE AT A TIME.  As worries come to our minds, we release them immediately - not ignore the issues; we still have to deal with working things through, but without the worry with which the enemy wants to weigh us down.  No wonder we're told in I Corinthians to take thoughts captive and make them obedient.

     If your mind is simmering with shadows and your thoughts are flying faster than a bird in flight, stop, let go and give God the freedom to work each problem through with you and for you!

"Pile your troubles on God's
shoulders - He will carry your
load, He will help you out."
Psalm 55:22


No comments:

Post a Comment