Monday, May 3, 2010

Cheerful & Joyful Hearts


God intends for all of us to have cheerful and joyful hearts and so that our joyful hearts can bless those around us, we have to let the joy reach our faces too. I have been reading lots of verses on cheerfulness & joy and some of my favourites have been in Proverbs. Listen to these excerpts from Proverbs 15&17 "A happy heart makes the face cheerful...The cheerful heart has a continual feast...A cheerful look brings joy to the heart...A cheerful heart is good medicine." That is a very provoking collection from only two chapters, I could go on but I think it illustrates well what is on my heart to share.
Years ago, I read a wonderful challenge from Teri Maxwell, written for moms, in which she shared how she overcame a significant time of depression in her life. She said that she would get out of bed and once she was ready for the day, she would ask the Lord to strengthen her and then walk into their hallway with a small on her face and a cheerful greeting for her children, EVEN THOUGH she felt awful inside at that time. This short challenge so impacted me ~ I have thought back to it over and over again!
Ultimately, we want to learn how to walk out our lives, as moms, in God's strength and with the joy that comes from Him. But sometimes circumstances cause us to feel far away from that joy or we are just so tired we can't even find the strength to connect with the Source of all joy. In those moments, my hope is to let CHOOSING reign over FEELING. We might FEEL exhausted, sick, grumpy, worn out - but if we CHOOSE to start with a cheerful look, it will bring joy to our family's hearts. But don't stop there, we have to take the time to ask the Lord Jesus to work out fresh, true joy deep within us. Normally it is our hearts that needs the joy first, not our faces, but once in a while it can happen in the reverse and I believe God honours our efforts.
A cheerful heart IS good medicine and not only do our families need that, they deserve it. I want my children to know me and remember me as a cheerful mom with a heart full of joy - that is a daily walk, not a one time experience. It requires us depending on God to do that work within us not just conjuring it up every day, but don't hesitate to start on the outside and work in, if necessary.
Philippians 1:6 says, "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." We are all still under construction and God want to be at work in us, on us and through us! May we be open to all He wants to do, to fill our hearts with greater cheerfulness and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment