Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Making Beds

What on earth could I have to say about to making beds? Is this a how to? I am sure you all know how to make beds as well as I do, so this is definitely not a "how to" article...this is a mom sharing while surrounded in laundry, changing sheets and beds, dishes, vacuuming and on it goes. This is life and I love it - but I am reminding myself of that today.
Do you ever get times like that? What amazes me is that no matter what we get to do for our families, as moms, it almost all has to be repeated the next day or sooner. I completed laundry for our family of seven, had kids help me put it away and five hours later when I was tucking in kids for the night, the hamper in the hall was 3/4 full already - how is this possible? It is possible because I am blessed with five healthy kids who love to play outside and I should not let myself complain even for a moment...but every once in a while my heart and body grow weary.

What is a mom to do? First, ACCEPT that even though our children and husbands may not notice the clean sheets when they crawl into bed at night - God does. They may not realize that all their underwear is washed, dried and folded neatly in their drawers (again) but God does. Even though they may not remember that they had a healthy breakfast, lunch and supper - God does.

Second, TELL God that we are weary and we need Him to fill us fresh with strength that comes from Him and not from us. Ephesians 3:16 says, "I pray that out of his glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being." God is truly right here with us and willing to give us whatever we need to not just make it through the day, but do it full of strength.

Third, REJOICE in the Lord - WORSHIP Him - PRAISE Him and THANK Him. We are a blessed people in a blessed country and our troubles are momentary and light, the Word tells us. As we focus on God and not our situations we will get a glimpse of an eternal perspective. There is a reason that Paul said it twice in Philippians 4:4, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice...The Lord is near."

I need these reflections as much as every other mom - I am ready to go back and tackle all that is still left for this day and tomorrow will worry about itself - God is more that able to carry me through. Enjoy your beds and dishes and cooking, may they remind us of the gifts we have been entrusted with for this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment