Saturday, July 30, 2011

Don't Stop...till you get to the Heart!


     Again - harsh, prickly words bounce off the windows in the back of our van and I feel my shoulders sag.  Will this never end?  Will my children never learn how to be kind to one another?

     I turn the vehicle into our driveway and I'm tempted to join the firing squad and add my own set of "bullets" to the words that are moving at the speed of light, but I stop short.  It won't make it any better.  In fact, unless I reach the heart of each of these children, I'll never deal with the real issue -- the roots.

     Over and over, I resist the urge to apply a band aid to poor behavior; although it feels as attractive as fresh churned butter must to a housefly. 

     I know God wants more than band aids in parenting these children.  Some days I can't believe he entrusts me with this staggering privilege and task of training these young ones.  Does He really think I'll ever succeed?

     There's my first clue that I must have slipped back into relying on my own strength -- that I've been taking the responsibility back into my hands.  It's GOD'S JOB and I'm His vessel to flow through with my children, and I know if I am really going to see these issues resolve then I have to go deeper than rules and consequences . . . I have to get to their hearts!

     Why is it so easy to put on band aids and leave the roots buried?  

     Because I tire of this task.  It's easier to "make" them obey than it is to help them see why they should WANT to obey.

     If God's going to be able to access their hearts, then they must see their need for His help.  Not through belittling them or embarrassment but through gentle one-on-one conversations that expose what lies deeper than the surface of the actions in question.

     It reminds of Jesus' words in Matthew 15, when He said, "The things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean'."  Ouch.  That hits so close to home that I can feel the heat flood my face.

     God, help me to never become satisfied with only altering my children's behavior.  Don't let me stop until I get to the heart of each of my children, so they'll learn what it is to cry out to You for their rescue from the issues buried deep inside.  Thank you that Your love is deeper, wider and greater than anything else this world could offer!  Amen.

 

"I speak as to my children-
open wide your hearts...for
we are the temple of the living God."
II Corinthians 6:13&16

2 comments:

  1. What a great reminder Kristen - thank you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristen! Just read that Matthew passage this week, such a reminder that we need God to take our filthy hearts (ours and our kids') and give us clean hearts. As usual, your encouragement and experience are a blessing to me - in fact, I'm giving you a little shout out over at Life the Valley today. :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete