Wednesday, July 20, 2011

REALLY Loving our Children




     The house resembled the aftermath of an earthquake, the loud voices of children reverberated off the walls and "dad" was due home any minute and would be looking for his supper!  I was not experiencing the emotions of being a loving mommy in that moment . . . but fortunately there's a lot more to love than feelings.

     There is love in its godly, active form -- LOVING, when it's found as a verb.

     We scattered to put quick semblance of order to the messes that seemed to litter every room, I worked to patiently lower the noise level and pull together a chicken stir-fry.  By the end of that day, when young ones were asleep and older ones had their feet resting with a book in hand, life felt a little more hope-filled again.  I was feeling more loving again.

     But what a dangerous thing it is to parent out of our emotions.

     Dr. Dobson had it right years ago, when he said, "Love is a decision."  We daily have to choose to love -- it's our calling as moms to model it to our children and to shower it on our families, as well.

     I came across a poem in a book I was reading last week; although there was no credit to who the author was, evidently it was a rendition of I Corinthians 13.  Listen to what it says . . .

     If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place,
     but have not love ~ I am a housekeeper, not a homemaker.
     If I have time for waxing, polishing and decorative achievements,
     but have not love ~ my children learn cleanliness, not godliness.
     Love leaves the dust in search of a child's laugh.
     Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.
     Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk.
     Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.
     Love is present through trials.
     Love reprimands, reproves and is responsive.
     As a mother there is much I must teach my child,
     but the greatest of all is . . . LOVE.


     That poem is now printed and set upon my fridge, lest I forget my God-given call and reorder the values and priorities that He has for my life as a wife and mom.  May you, too, find a way to be reminded that we each are given the opportunity DAILY to choose love as a verb!

"Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others
than for self.  Love...puts 
up with anything, trusts God
always...keeps going to the end."
I Corinthians 13:4&7


No comments:

Post a Comment