Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Heroes in Waiting



     My son loves to have someone mount him on their shoulders and help him "fly" to the rescue of a distressed, imaginary victim.  My daughter loves to know she is desperately needed in an anxious moment.  I love to feel the satisfaction of a difficult task completed.

     Have you noticed we all share similar deep desires?  Have you ever noticed how every boy dreams of being a super hero?  And every girl longs to accomplish great feats? 

     Is it possible that God has placed something deep inside of our fragile beings that longs to be brave, heroic and invincible?

     The Bible tells us that every gift God gives is good, but the enemy always tries to destroy those very things with his twisted replica.

     Super hero longings are no different!  God calls us to be bold and to stand for Him, while the enemy tempts us to bring glory to ourselves.

     How can we walk out day-to-day life as heroes in waiting . . . ready to be used by God but not desiring to steal His glory?

     I am reminded of David in the Bible, who according to the prophet Samuel was not much to look at, but God knew David's heart.  Psalm 89 tells us what God thought of David when it says, "I've crowned a HERO, I chose the best I could find; I found David my servant."

     God knew what was in David's future -- giant slaying, battle victories and kingship.

     And God knows what is in our future too!

     I love what the evangelist, A.B. Simpson once said, "God is preparing His heroes.  And when the opportunity comes, He can fit their into their places in a moment.  And the world will wonder where they came from."

     We don't need to worry IF God can use us -- as we humble ourselves before Him and seek Him only, He will raise us up for great tasks when the time comes. 

     In fact, we may be carrying some of those tasks out right now and not even realizing it . . . it doesn't take much to have our capes flutter in the breeze for our children, does it?  So let's GO be the heroes that God has made us to be and soon we may discover what more He has in store, AS LONG AS we keep Him first in our lives.

"Don't let the HEROES brag of their
exploits...brag of this and this only:
That you understand and know me.
I am God."
Jeremiah 9:23&24 (msg)



No comments:

Post a Comment