Friday, July 15, 2011

Perspective


     He wandered around our home for over an hour, room to room . . . CLICK, CLICK, CLICK.  The sounds from the old, chipped camera filled the air as my four year-old tirelessly continued to press the shutter button.  I didn't think much of it at the time -- in fact, it wasn't till all of my children were sound asleep that I remembered the old camera was still sitting silent on the counter.

     I half-sighed as I picked up the camera, assuming I would find a plethora of blurry pictures that would need to be deleted . . . but to my surprise, as the scratched, digital screen came to life, there before my eyes began a collection of pictures that took a moment's breath away from me.  The screen filled with marvelous pictures of all different rooms and people, but at angles and heights I had never viewed.

     How could I delete these little wonders of perspective, from a view that was so distinctly different than mine?

     Then, it was as if God began to whisper, "I have a perspective totally different than yours, too, my daughter.  Rest in me to bring fullness to your pictures of life." 

     My mind went to the verse in Isaiah 55 that says God's thoughts are not our thoughts and neither are His ways our ways.  It is so true!  In fact, as many times as I've assumed I knew what God was going to do or that I thought I knew what something was going to look like in the days ahead -- in hindsight, I haven't had it figured out at all.

     Where is the lesson in all of this?  The perspective found in the hands of my four year-old that day reminded me of an age old truth . . . God is the ONLY ONE who's vantage point offers the complete picture of my life.  As His child, I need to let go of forcing my ways and let His ways reign over everything.  My eyes set on Jesus will eventually answer any questions I have along the way!


"Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground,
absorbed with the things right in front of you.
Look up, and be alert to what is going on around
Christ - that's where the action is.  See things from
HIS PERSPECTIVE."
Colossians 3:2


No comments:

Post a Comment