Thursday, February 17, 2011

Floating Laughter


The laughter was rich and lingering.  As it floated down the stairs and filled my ears, my heart somersaulted with pleasure.   Sounds of merriment and giggling -- our children lost in the enjoyment of being brothers and sisters.  They carried on for over an hour, and I couldn't bring myself to douse the fire of fun that was burning bright . . . not tonight.  This was the reward -- mine and theirs -- that comes from working through years of petty arguments and thoughtless words.   This was a glimpse into the future of a lifetime of camaraderie . . . a taste of the harvest after much travail in the fields of our family. 

My face relaxes into a contented smile as I reflect on some of the questions that have haunted my mind in the past.  Well-meaning acquaintances that have queried the why's of how we have chosen to "do" life in our home.  A smattering of challenges that have been posed to us, and yet, I realize for me, that . . .

Confidence has replaced question.

I no longer find it necessary to fret.  Do they have enough friendships?  Have they had enough "play dates"?  Are they too isolated?  Will they learn to socialize well if they are not segregated all day?

The answers are powerful and fresh for me.  Time, they say, is the teller of all truth -- I am pleased with what I hear it say . . .

Our children have learned how to frolic with the young and converse elegantly with the old.

They love others well, and they are comfortable with themselves.

Friendships can shift like sand; but investments made close to home are priceless.  Our children love each other deeply, and God says that will cover a multitude of problems.  When the day comes that Daddy and Mommy are gone, I am confident they will have a fortress of strength and love to under gird one another till their end. 

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."  I Peter 4:8



No comments:

Post a Comment