Monday, February 28, 2011

I Want My Own Way

    
      "I WANT IT!"

      "I WANT IT NOW!"

      "IF YOU DON'T GIVE IT TO ME,
        I'M GOING TO SCREAM!"

      I pushed my grocery cart quickly down the isle of the bustling store.  Already the red-faced mother had onlookers -- this was my feeble attempt for the mortified mother to retain a small portion of dignity.  I could imagine how she felt . . . five children later, my self-righteous notions of motherhood have been stripped away and replaced with the reality of children.

      “Can I get what I want?”  It is the question continually asked of every child.  They whine.  They snivel.  They moanThey cry.  Whatever it takes to achieve the answer YES.

      I reflected back mere days ago, to a demand that came from one of my own . . . life deemed unfair by my daughter on the simple basis that she did not get what she wanted. What did I do?  Held my ground.

      Why?  Because a demanding toddler left uncontrolled becomes a more demanding older child. That leads to an impossible-to-please teenager, which in turn becomes the next generation of adults who always want their own way. This can lead to a complete breakdown in society.

      What if every child was always given every single thing they asked for?  Would there be any adults available in twenty-five years that would be willing to go out of their way for a friend or co-worker?  Unlikely.

      “But,” you say, “You don't know how hard it is when my child wants their own way!”  Yes, I do, but I also know what comes later if the same child continues to get whatever they want.

      The short-term sacrifice of a sobbing or screaming child, who is not pleased with a tough decision, is unequivocally worth the long-term gain of an adult who has plausible expectations of the world and those around them.

      Headlines are filled daily with people, companies, and governments taking what they want because they “threw a tantrum” long enough.  Business owners complain of the immense challenges in operations due to customers that only know what it is to “get their own way”.  It is a growing trend in our society and there is only one way to change it . . .

      Learn to be the parents that stand firm when their child demands, “I want my own way!”


“By standing firm you will gain life.” Luke 21:19 

No comments:

Post a Comment