Monday, March 14, 2011

The Mess of Learning



     "Oh, Mom, can I help you?"  The words came out of the mouth of my sweet daughter -- good words, bad timing.  I was about to begin one of my "secret jobs".  I don't have many secret jobs, but there are a few -- you know, the ones that you try to accomplish alone before a charming child steps into "help".   This job involved the transfer of 22lbs of flour, so the risks were steep.

     "Sure you can," I replied hesitantly, but I cringed as I spoke, because I knew what might come next . . . the mess of learning.  It seems to be the inevitable step that each child has to take to master the next level of chores and assignments, but one I dread more often than I should. 

     We put the clear, plastic flour bin on the kitchen floor and opened the bag together.  "I can do it, Mom," she said.  To which I replied, "I know, but I will just help you get started."  We opened the bag together and started to lift it in the air, but before I could get the words out to tip it slowly, flour decorated my floor!  Much of it did make the bin, but . . . much didn't. 

     Life -- all of it, whatever stage we are at -- requires the mess of learning. 

     At what point do we earn the badge of completing all lessons?  There isn't one.  If we are not overwhelmed with the "mess" of learning how to care for our first baby, then we are further down the list, with the hope to check off the lesson on the "mess" of learning how to care for our third.  Or maybe it is the "mess" of learning how to communicate with our spouse.  Or it could be the "mess" of learning how to age gracefully.  It doesn't seem to end, does it?

     This is God's design of life -- it's what keeps me humble and in need of wisdom from others, and most of all, from above!

     I looked around at the smattering of flour on the kitchen floor and thought of my own life -- the lessons I have learned have often left a detritus of mess in my path.  But just as I helped my daughter to clean up the flour, so God faithfully helps me with clean up the residue from my lessons.

     This is how our children are created to learn, and it is how I continue to learn . . . one mess at a time.


"I applied my heart to what I observed
and learned a lesson from what I saw."
Proverbs 24:32

    

No comments:

Post a Comment