Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stick it Out




     "Mommmm, why do I have to empty the dishwasher?  I just did dishes yesterday."  My daughter groaned as she carelessly tossed pieces of Tupperware onto the counter.  "Don't you know that I am just a kid?  I don't think I should have to do this much work."  This time silverware crashed onto the blue top -- and I sighed.

     It would be so much easier to just do this myself!  I resisted the urge to tell her to forget about it, and I stuck it out as another round of complaining began.  I briefly lectured her on the benefits she would experience by obtaining these skills, but that did not carry the impact I had hoped, so I resorted to the simple answer -- it was something that just had to be done!

     As the last items were put into their place, she surveyed the clean counters and empty dishwasher with a slightly satisfied grin.  I knew she was pleased with the results even though she had not enjoyed the process. 

     "Thank you for doing a good job," I offered, "it looks great."   She apologized for her attitude and then happily skipped off to play, while I lingered in the kitchen for a few more minutes.  My feet felt the coolness of the linoleum floor and my heart felt the enervation from the fight for the small victory won.

     I released a long breath out slowly.

     Many moments of child-training seemed far more significant and intense than this one, I reflected, so why did I feel so battle weary?  I suppose the grander battles were a non-negotiable in my mind -- but this?  I could walk away from doing the dishes alone and not feel badly at all. 

     Smaller tasks appeared easier to excuse because they lacked the feeling of importance in the moment -- but couldn't that be a problem? 

     Life consists of hundreds of small tasks done WELL, not just a few colossal accomplishments under our belts.

     If our children are going to shine in the adult world someday, then this is the training ground NOW.  For me, as mom and trainer, it will be because I held them to the little things . . . that they will be ready for the subsequent roles and responsibilities that God has for them in the future. 

     Sticking it out on the small tasks in the here and now, will make the later a beautiful experience -- for both my children and me.



 "She (or he) sets about her work
vigorously; her arms are
strong for her tasks."
Proverbs 31:17

No comments:

Post a Comment